Se habla Español

Licensed to Practice State Law in Colorado and California

Temporary Nonimmigrant ‘Work’ Visas

Spouses and Children Seeking Dependent Nonimmigrant Classification

Spouses and children who qualify for dependent nonimmigrant classification of a temporary worker and who are outside of the United States should apply directly at a U.S. consulate for a visa.

Spouses and children requesting a change of status or extension of stay in a dependent nonimmigrant classification must file Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status.  Please see the Form I-539 instructions for further information on filing procedures for this application


NONIMMIGRANT CATEGORIES:  For a complete list of all Categories, please go to


Summary List of Nonimmigrant Visas

A-1. Ambassadors, public ministers, or career diplomats, and their spouses and children.

A-2. Other accredited officials or employees of foreign governments, and their spouses and children.

A-3. Attendants, servants, or Personal employees of A-1 and A-2 visa holders, or Immediate Family


B-1 Business visitors.

B-2. Visitors for pleasure or medical treatment.

B-1/OCS: For crewmembers working on Outer Continental Shelf (B-1/OCS) and yachts (B-1)

B-1/B-2: For general business purposes (e.g., meetings, short-term training); for tourism, visit to relatives and friends, or similar reasons



C-1. Foreign travelers in immediate and continuous transit through the U.S.

C-2 Foreign national in transit to the United Nations

C-3 Foreign government official, Immediate Family, Attendant, Servant or Personal Employee in Transit


D-1. Crew members (sea or air) who need to land temporarily in the U.S. and who will depart aboard the same ship or plane on which they arrived.


E-1. Treaty trader, working for a U.S. trading company that does 50% or more of its business with the trader’s home country, and their spouses and children.

E-2. Treaty investors working for a U.S. company with 50% or more of its investment capital coming from the investor’s home country, and their spouses and children.

E-2C Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands Investor, Spouse or Child

E-3. Australian Treaty Foreign National coming to the United States to perform services in a specialty occupation (similar to an H-1B)   Spouses and children may accompany the E-3 visa holder.

E-3D Spouse or child of E-3


F-1. Academic or language students.

F-2. Spouses and children of F-1

F-3. Citizens or Mexican national commuter students in academic or language training program


G-1. Principal Representatives of foreign governments coming to the U.S. to work for an international organization, their Staff or Immediate Family.

G-2. Other Representatives of recognized Foreign Government coming to the U.S. to work for an international organization, Staff or Immediate Family

G-3. Representatives of Non-recognized Foreign Government to International organization, or Immediate Family

G-4. Officers or employees of international organizations or Immediate Family

G-5. Attendants, servants, and personal employees of G-1 through G-4 visa holders, and their spouses and children.


H-1B Persons working in specialty occupations requiring at least a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in on-the-job experience, and distinguished fashion models.

H-1C Nurses who will work for up to three years in health professional shortage area.

H-2A Temporary agricultural workers performing agricultural services unavailable in U.S

H-2B. Temporary workers performing other services unavailable in the U.S

H-3 Temporary trainees coming for on-the-job training unavailable in their home countries.

H-4. Spouses and children of H-1, H-2, or H-3 visa holders.


I-1 Representatives of the foreign information media, spouse and children


J-1 Exchange visitors coming to the U.S. to study, work, or train as part of an exchange program officially recognized by the U.S. Department of State.

J-2 Spouses and children of J-1 visa holders.


K-1. Fiancés or fiancées of U.S. citizens coming to the U.S. for the purpose of getting married.

K-2. Minor, unmarried children of K-1 visa holders.

K-3. Spouses of U.S. citizen petitioners awaiting availability of an immigrant visa,

K-4. Unmarried children of K-3 visa holders.


L-1. Intercompany transferees (Executive, Managerial, and Specialized Knowledge Personnel Continuing Employment with an International Firm or Corporation)

L-2. Spouses and children of L-1 visa holders.


M-1. Vocational or other nonacademic students, other than language students.

M-2. Spouses and children of M-1 visa holders.

M-3. Canadian or Mexican national commuter student (Vocational student or other nonacademic student)


N-8. Parents of certain special immigrant classified as SK-2 or SN3

N-9. Children of N8 or of SK1, SK2, SK4, SN1, SN2 or SN4

NATO-1, NATO-2, NATO-3, NATO-4, and NATO-5. Representatives, officials, and experts coming to the U.S. under applicable provisions of the NATO Treaty, and their immediate family members.

NATO-6. Member of civilian component accompanying a Force entering in accordance with the Provisions of the NATO Status of Forces Agreement.

NATO-7. Attendants, servants, or personal employees of NATO-1 through NATO-6 visas holders, and their immediate family members.


O-1. Persons of extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics.

O-2. Essential support staff of O-1 visa holders.

O-3. Spouses and children of O-1 and O-2 visa holders.


P-1. Internationally recognized athletes and or member of internally recognized entertainment group.

P-2. Artist or Entertainer coming to perform in a reciprocal exchange program

P-3. Artists and entertainers coming to the U.S. in a culturally unique program

P-4. Spouses and children of P-1, P-2, and P-3 visa holders.


Q-1. Exchange visitors coming to the U.S. to participate in international cultural exchange programs.

Q-2. (Walsh visas) Participants in the Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program

Q-3. Spouses and children of Q-1 visa holders.


R-1. Ministers in a religious occupation to work

R-2. Spouses and children of R-1 visa holders.


S-5. People coming to the U.S. to supply information to U.S. authorities about a criminal organization or enterprise.

S-6. People coming to the U.S. to provide information to U.S. authorities relating to Terrorism


T-1. Victims of severe form of trafficking in persons.

T-2, T-3. Spouses and children of victims of trafficking.

P-4   Parent of T-1

TN           NAFTA Professional Trade visas for Canadians and Mexicans.

TD Spouse or Child of NAFTA Professional


U-1 Victim of criminal activity.  For foreign nationals who have suffered “substantial physical or mental abuse” as a result of certain U.S. criminal violations including domestic violence and who are assisting law enforcement authorities.

U-2, U-3 Spouses and children of U-1 visa holders.

U-4 Parent of U1 under 21 years of age

U-5 Unmarried Sibling under the age of 18 of U-1 under 21 years of age


V-1 Spouse of lawful permanent resident awaiting available visa number

V-2 Child of lawful permanent resident awaiting available visa number

V-3 Child of V-1 or V-2